Dear LAH: Why is it so important to stay hydrated with water and how should I do it? Beverly Q., Ann Arbor
Dear Beverly: yes indeedy we all know we should stay well hydrated but so few of us do! In fact, proper hydration will contribute to weight loss, better skin, better digestion etc. In service of this it is important to drink pure fresh water. 8 oz per day on average. That’s alot of water. Many people tell me they drink plenty but then i come to find they in fact drink plenty of liquids just the wrong kinds: coffee, tea (de-hydrators since they can act as diuretics), juices (add calories and sugar), sodas (just yuck), Kombucha and green tea etc etc.(some of these are sweetened and too much of a good thing is, well, too much! So water it is, often throughout the day and according to the hot water routine…hot! (but certainly room temp and not cold.
Some facts: You really should drink an average of 8oz per day for a person who is averagely active. If you sweat alot then go up!
1. Weight Control: people often turn to food when they are, in reality, thirsty. Their bodies (cells) are simply looking for energy which is missing when cells are deprived of the proportion of water they need.
2. Joints Stiff? cartilage (the padding in the joints) is depleted when dehydrated.
3. Constipated: is your colon all dried out and sucking the water out of the matter that needs to pass. Instead you end up with hard dry poops that are hard to pass, or don’t at all.
4. Water Consesrvation: Your body will suck water where it can. Out of the colon (as above), out of the skin (dry and tight leads to lines), the airways etc. The body will even produce more cholesterol to prevent water loss from cells.
5. Bad skin: dehydration makes it hard to process and excrete toxins properly. When taxed, the body removes these in unsightly and aggravating ways on the skin from acne to psoriasis to wrinkling.
The Hot Water Routine
The Hot Water Routine stimulates digestion from the time it hits the tongue. If you are not busy digesting the effect will be that old stored gunk will be loosened and worked out of your system naturally. The water is not flushing out toxins per se, it is, rather, getting the system to soften, start working and keep working while staying thoroughly hydrated. Cold water would put a stop to the digestive processes and be of little use.
Bring water to a boil and store it in a thermos
Sip on this every half hour throughout the day.
Stop at 6 PM so you won’t be up all night.
SIMPLE and here is what Ayurvedic teacher Dr. John Douillard has to say on the subject:
Drinking plain boiled hot water is an ancient Ayurvedic method for flushing the lymphatic system, softening hardened tissues, and dilating, cleansing and then hydrating deep tissues. It also heals and repairs the digestive system and flushes the GALT (lymph on the outside of the intestinal wall).