The idea is not how far and wide you physically travel … whether it is travel afar or a shift in perspective close to home, the point is to switch up the view, the expectations, the habitual patterns.
Funny to hear myself say this when i spend most of my time with clients and here extolling the virtues of a settled, ritual, rhythmic flow to life. The fact is that while practices, habits and a stable home base are critical to well-being, getting a new visual, spiritual and emotional infusion is energizing and inspiring.
Here are the 6 main ways travel improves life:
1. Travel Changes You: Bourdain always gets it right.
2. Travel Keeps Life Fresh: TS Eliot said it best — “We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.” Distance and difference are the secret tonic of creativity. “When we get home, home is still the same but something in our mind has ben changed and that changes everything. – jonah Lehrer.
3. Travel Challenges Established Rhythms: It is critical to be sure that your rituals really mean something and they don’t get stale. Isn’t it terrifying when you find you have driven miles along a well travelled road without realizing it? Isn’t it exhilarating to get lost but not too lost?
4. Travel Nurtures Introspection: Lawrence Durrell, another inveterate traveller, noticed that “Travel can be one of the most rewarding forms of introspection.” And this thought too: ” It affirms, each and every time, that there is unity in diversity.” R. Kovacs.
5. Travel breaks the cycles of dis-ease: Sometimes the change of food, water, tempo, schedule, language – dissolves problems, breaks a cycle of anxious thinking, solves a digestive disturbance. Being light and open, less than in control, surrendered to a culture and language barrier are all opening experiences that dissolve the sludge and drudge of sameness which can be grounding but can also take on a quality of quicksand after a while.
6. Travel shifts the Perspective: Transposing a problem to a different environment may dissolve it. As a child, if i was sleepless I would move my pillow to a cool place at the foot of my bed and switch up the direction. It almost always worked a charm. a little practical magic can go a long way.
And don’t forget a few travel savvy items:
Insure you stay physically healthy on your travels while you are feeding the mind and soul! Shop here in the Travel Savvy Shop – from elixirs to keep you regular and calm to the best travel yoga mat.